Friday, October 31, 2008

I've become an obaatan- a mother

I started a journal of my experiences and lessons of motherhood when I had my first son in November last year. So much has happened in my life and soul since this miniature piece of humanity came home to stay. This journal is in honour of my children. I have my husband’s consent to share our family’s journey with you through the beautiful and heart wrenching experience which is baatan-ye (motherhood).

Today my second son is a week old. It is an important moment in our culture. Here a child is not really human until the eighth day of their lives. We believe he parts ways with the spirit world completely on that day. Now he can come outdoors, he can be named; he is truly one of us. Though I had the very best and warmest of medical care all through my pregnancy, delivery and post-op, I am still deeply emotional this day. My son has come to stay. [By the way, if you have a child or fertility issues in Ghana, seek out Dr. Richard Banful. He’s a miracle worker I tell you.]

A historical note: child mortality in days past was of course incredibly high. A child who was going to die would likely have done so already by the eighth day. We tried to reduce the agony of child loss by not naming or making public appearances with him till after that.My sons are named Dovene and Vinyo. Dovene means ‘now we are two.’ The emotion behind the choice I’m sure is self-evident. Vinyo means ‘it is good to have children.’

Vin akwaaba. Welcome to the world; cruel world, fun world, lovely world, cold world. So much to see, feel and experience. God guide your footsteps my sons all the days of your life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laydi said...

Maamie, well written. All round a good read. I've enjoyed very much. Love Laydi

Unknown said...

Beautiful. You got me teary, wuss that I am. Beautiful.